G. B. Walters
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Letter documents that CHOG began in Laurel, Mississippi in 1908 in a tent meeting. The first church building was West of Laurel, known as "The Pond." The location moved to newly purchased land in 1928, where the church was still meeting at the time of the letter (1949). Letter also mentions L.V. Strickland and his documtnation of CHOG in Mississippi.
Letter dates CHOG beginning in Moss, MS in 1904 when Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Walters started Sunday school in a log schoolhouse. L. V. Strickland was the first CHOG minister to preach in the area. The first official CHOG building was erected in 1908 with the land donated by L. D Walters. Letter also gives a biographical sketch of T. Otis Matthews.
Letter describes the history of CHOG doctrine was introduced to Mississippi in 1888 with the first meeting of the D. S. Warner group taking place near Dixon, MS. The group faced mass persecution with D. S. Warner responding with a hymn he wrote titled "Who will Suffer with the Savior." Despite persecution, D. S. Warner was able to establish a church in every community he conducted a gospel meeting with the State Camp location at Dixon, MS.