W. S. Best
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Letter documents that CHOG began in Laurel, Mississippi in 1908 in a tent meeting. The first church building was West of Laurel, known as "The Pond." The location moved to newly purchased land in 1928, where the church was still meeting at the time of the letter (1949). Letter also mentions L.V. Strickland and his documtnation of CHOG in Mississippi.
Letter gives credit to CHOG founding in Shaw to Byrd and Fannie Cole moving to Shaw from Alabama. There, the Coles held a revival meetingin July of 1931. The church then started a Sunday school and prayer meetings although the location moved. Services were held in the home of the Coles until a permanent church building could be built.